“I feel like I’ve accomplished something when I help people navigate a difficult stage and move forward with their lives.”
Advancing clients’ interests in family law and bankruptcy. Charles Cohen is a founding partner of the firm who concentrates his practice on family law and bankruptcy. In both areas of law, Charles is committed to advancing the best interests of his clients and enabling them to move forward with their lives and businesses.
Results-oriented family law solutions. As a family lawyer, Charles gives clients the benefit of 38 years of experience and knowledge in successfully obtaining settlements. He is trained as a Collaborative Lawyer and believes that the Collaborative process allows couples to dissolve their marriages respectfully, constructively and privately. Charles listens carefully to his clients and understands their unique situations. When the question of litigation arises, Charles will advise clients on the likely outcome and works to find solutions that achieve results outside of court. When necessary, however, he advocates vigorously for his clients at trial if that is the only means to attain resolution. Overall, Charles strives to guide clients through divorce in ways that minimize the destruction, protects relationships, and positions them to move forward in the future.
A fresh start with bankruptcy. Assisting clients in making a fresh start also characterizes Charles’ bankruptcy practice. He represents debtors in Chapter 7 and Chapter 11 proceedings; Charles’ clients include doctors and other professionals as well as public and private companies and business owners. He serves as counsel to the firm’s trustees in various bankruptcy matters. Charles approaches bankruptcy as a vehicle that allows clients to begin anew or to reorganize, freeing them from the debt while protecting assets like homes and businesses.
Extensive experience in Family Law and Bankruptcy. Whether in bankruptcy or family law, Charles brings a calming presence to his cases born of his extensive experience in resolving the issues at hand. Clients often comment they could not have gotten through divorce or bankruptcy without Charles, as he expertly helps them move on to the next stage of their lives or businesses.
A founding partner. Charles established Furr & Cohen in 1983 after several years in private practice. He is a board member of the Collaborative Family Law Council of Florida, as well as a Member of the International Academy of Collaborative Professionals. He is also a member of the Association of Family and Conciliation Courts as well as the Florida Association of Family and Conciliation Courts.
- Represented a client declared incompetent in New Jersey and negotiated a settlement with the wife to the satisfaction of his daughters and the second wife. The issues dealt with the tracing of assets and whether or not the assets were marital or non-marital, and the interpretation of a prenuptial agreement that was entered into in New Jersey in the early 1980’s. The divorce case was in South Florida.
- Represented a wealthy developer who fell on hard times during the real estate crunch. In his modification proceedings sole custody of the three minor children of the marriage was obtained and child support from the former wife from assets that she had received initially from the divorce case to help pay for the expenses of the children was also obtained. Further, the mother’s visitation was restricted because of substance abuse issues.
- Represented a client whose husband walked out on her and left her with substantial tax liabilities and three minor children. A favorable settlement with no tax liability for the former wife was obtained.
- Represented various doctors in trying to resolve their marital issues along with trying to help them to avoid a bankruptcy as a result of business decisions.
- Represented a doctor who had two malpractice judgments against him. He was able to eventually file a bankruptcy which allowed him to go on with his life, as well as keeping his license at the time.
- Represented the second largest eucalyptus mulch company in the country and successfully reorganized the company in a Chapter 11 proceeding.
- Represented various doctors and other professionals in dissolution actions, allowing them to keep their practices without interference from their former spouse to the satisfaction of both parties.
Areas of Practice
- Family Law including Collaborative practice
- Commercial Litigation
- Real Estate Law
- Ohio, 1972
- Florida, 1976
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Florida Trial Bar
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Florida
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Capital University Law School, Columbus, Ohio
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Palm Beach County Bar Association
- South Palm Beach County Bar Association
- Bankruptcy Bar Association for the Southern District of Florida
- South Palm Beach County, Florida Collaborative Law Group
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
- Florida Academy of Collaborative Professionals
- Association of Family Conciliation Courts
- Florida Association of Family and Conciliation Courts
Pro Bono Activities
- Board of Directors, Woodfield Country Club Home Owners Association bar & Court Admissions