“The Bankruptcy code is complex and constantly evolving. I give clients the benefit of expertise and experience in utilizing the law successfully to protect their interests.”
The practice leader in bankruptcy law. With more than 35 years of experience in his specialty, Robert C. Furr leads the firm’s bankruptcy practice. Robert is board certified in both consumer and business bankruptcy by the American Board of Certification, and represents individuals and businesses in complex Chapter 7 and 11 proceedings. A panel trustee for the U.S. Trustee Program for the Southern District of Florida, Robert also regularly acts as a trustee in Chapter 7, 11 and 12 cases throughout the region, and has served in many multimillion-dollar bankruptcies. In addition, Robert is trained in bankruptcy mediation to serve in mediating adversary proceedings, contested matters, and Plans
Experience in helping clients rebuild. Robert understands that businesses and individuals facing financial difficulties must make critical decisions about their futures. Evaluating all aspects of his clients’ financial situations, he advises them on the most advantageous steps for solving their problems and preserving assets and businesses. Robert’s calm demeanor and knowledgeable counsel help clients proceed confidently to resolve their financial crises and find new pathways forward.
Expertise with complex cases. Robert’s cases encompass both state court civil litigation and complex commercial litigation in addition to Bankruptcy. He has handled numerous complex cases in a broad range of business and industries including retail, manufacturing, medical and other professional practices, restaurant chains, IP companies, real estate and non-profit.
Fellow of the American College of Bankruptcy. In recognition of his distinguished service, Robert has been selected to be a Fellow of the prestigious American College of Bankruptcy, the only Palm Beach County attorney so honored. Robert is a past president of the National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees, the only trustee organization in the nation. He has testified twice before Congress on bankruptcy matters and the legislative process. He is a past-editor and chief of Nabtalk, the journal of the National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees and President of the Bankruptcy Trustee Association of Southern Florida.
A frequent lecturer, Robert has spoken to various professional groups and authored numerous articles on insolvency and bankruptcy.
- Represented TLFO, LLC f/k/a TLO, LLC in Chapter 11. Successfully organized a § 363 sale of the business, which generated $155,000,000. All unsecured creditors were paid in full, plus interest and over $30,000,000 was returned to the owners.
- Represented Palm Beach Community Church, Inc. Filed Chapter 11 for the church and helped sell its assets and merge with another church so that it survived.
- Represented a secured creditor, The City of Delray Beach, in the Chapter 11 bankruptcy case of Auburn Trace, LLC. Successfully helped the City recovered 100% of its mortgage amount.
- Represented a radiologist and his companies. Successfully negotiated a Plan of Reorganization which allowed the doctor to pay 20% of the judgment over two years while retaining his property.
- Represented one of the largest medical groups in Palm Beach County, which had a medical malpractice judgment entered against it and was uninsured. Effectuated a settlement with the claimants and avoided the filing of the Chapter 11.
- Served as the Chapter 7 Trustee for Banyon 1030-32 and Banyon Income Fund LP. These Debtors were feeder funds in the Rothstein Ponzi case. Recovered over $45,000,000 paid to creditors. Pursuing numerous lawsuits and other avenues of collection.
- Served as the Chapter 11 and then Chapter 7 Trustee for Bernie Kosar, former NFL quarterback. Liquidated assets and returned a dividend to creditors.
- Represented politicians, actors, television personalities, attorneys, CPA’s, developers, athletes, dentists, physicians, and other professionals in Ch. 7 and 11 cases.
Areas of Practice
- Complex Chapter 7 and 11 Reorganizations for Corporations and Individuals
- State Court Civil Litigation including Receiverships
- Complex Commercial Litigation
- 50% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
Certified Legal Specialties
- Board Certified Civil Trial Lawyer, Florida Bar, 1983
- Board Certified Civil Trial Lawyer, Florida Bar, 1988
- Board Certified Civil Trial Lawyer, Florida Bar, 1993
- Board Certified Consumer Bankruptcy Attorney, American Board of Certification, 1994
- Board Certified Consumer Bankruptcy Attorney, American Board of Certification, 1999
- Board Certified Consumer Bankruptcy Attorney, American Board of Certification, 2004
- Board Certified Consumer Bankruptcy Attorney, American Board of Certification, 2009
- Board Certified Business Bankruptcy Attorney, American Board of Certification, 1994
- Board Certified Business Bankruptcy Attorney, American Board of Certification, 1999
- Board Certified Business Bankruptcy Attorney, American Board of Certification, 2004
- Board Certified Business Bankruptcy Attorney, American Board of Certification, 2009
- Florida, 1976
- Georgia, 1975
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia, pro hac vice
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Florida
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Southern Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- Emory University School of Law, Atlanta, Georgia
- University of South Carolina, Columbia, South Carolina
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Bankruptcy Bar Association for the Southern District of Florida
- Palm Beach County Bar Association – Founder of Bankruptcy Committee
- South Palm Beach County Bar Association
- Bankruptcy Trustees Association for the Southern District of Florida
- Florida Bar Judicial Liaison Committee
Pro Bono Activities
- Trustee for Banyon Income Fund LLC
- Trustee for Banyon 1030-32 LLC